RSS
Hello! Welcome to Eat Movies, where what I see, I write about. Hope you enjoy and please feel free to leave comments.

The Lovely Bones (2009)


"My name is Salmon, like the fish. First name, Susie. I was fourteen years old when I was murdered on December 6th, 1973"

Peter Jackson's latest


Based on Alice Sebold's best-selling novel of the same name, this is an adaptation
that just wasn't ambitious enough.Susie Salmon is raped and murdered at the age
of fourteen, but that is not the end of her story as she enters the 'in-between' and is
able to watch her family and murderer as time passes. The film is very uneven and I
know it's an adapation and can't possibly be the same as the book, but it changes
and leaves out some important parts of the source material.

For instance, no mention is made of Susie's rape, it's not shown and just barely
implied. Alice Sebold was raped as a freshman at university, and the book caputures
Susie's harrowing ordeal and suffering at the time of the rape and as the years past
by while she tries to work out why this happened to her.

Also, the film is squashed into a shorter period of time so the story doesn't develop
as well as it should. One of the things I took away from the book was the
heart-breaking love story between Susie and her first love Ray. The film messes up
the first kiss (It doesn't happen!), so the ending doesn't work and just seems, well,
weird.

I dunno, maybe there's a great movie on the cutting-room floor, but as it is, it's just
merely good, if a little confusing.This is something I experienced with 'The Lord of
the Rings : The Return of the King,' where watching the film in the cinema, and
having experienced the extended editions of the previous two films in the trilogy, I
couldn't help think Jackson was holding out and just getting the film under three
hours. I was let down then and feel this story has been let down for the same reason.

I am looking forward to watching this on Blu-ray, there are some wonderful images
on display here, as Stanley Tucci has done an amazing job as Mr. Harvey,
unrecognisable under great make-up and acting skill. Saoirse Ronan is also
wonderful as Susie, but, again, I feel there's more to her performance. Rachael
Weisz is also good but underused and Susan Sarandon is having fun as the
grandmother. The only let-down is Mark Wahlberg who just doesn't convince as the
father and has to carry too much of the story.

6 out of 10

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Eat Movies. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy